© STARTTS/ David Maurice Smith
Refugees often experience multiple levels of trauma which impact across all areas of their life and community. In recognition of this, STARTTS provides a holistic range of services which have evolved in response to the needs of our clients. Our range of services includes:
- culturally appropriate counselling and therapy (for individuals, families and groups)
- group work, including self-support groups, health education and other activities
- psychiatric assessment and treatment
- physiotherapy, therapeutic massage and acupuncture
- pain management and exercise groups
- activities for young people, including camps, excursions and Capoeira
- referral and case management
- community liaison and consultation
- community development projects
- training of mainstream service-providers in awareness of refugee issues and strategies to work with this client group
- research and evaluation
From the outset STARTTS has employed a multidisciplinary and multicultural team with strong community links. We are committed to providing services appropriate to the many different cultures which comprise our client group.
We consult regularly with refugee communities about needs and the development of appropriate services. STARTTS provides a very client focussed service which is constantly changing to meet client needs, and which recognises the need for different approaches and services for different individuals and communities.
STARTTS also works closely with other service providers to develop partnerships to meet the needs of refugees.