This clinical workshop incorporates close to 30 years of STARTTS’ experience working with refugee trauma and is based on the latest research in the trauma field. It aims to provide counsellors with a framework of the essentials of best practice in moving beyond symptoms to the context of children and young people from refugee backgrounds which includes cultural transition, resettlement, integrating into a school community and collectivism. It will cover the distinct biopsychosocial sequelae of torture and refugee trauma, including on the developing nervous system, memory and attachment; ways to overcome barriers to engaging young clients from refugee backgrounds in therapy and groups; and the importance of utilising a combination of expressive and body and mind approaches in a phased trauma treatment approach. It will emphasise the importance of incorporating family, the school and community; and working with other professionals to achieve desired clinical outcomes.
- The refugee experience
- Considerations and challenges of refugee trauma work
- Clinical implications of torture and refugee trauma manifestations
- Effective cross-cultural engagement
- Comprehensive refugee clinical assessment
- Formulating a case and treatment plan for torture and refugee trauma
- Trauma treatment strategies
- Ending treatment and measuring clinical outcomes
- Self care in the face of highly traumatised clients
Suitable for clinicians (child psychologists, social workers, school counsellors, psychiatrists, etc).
Date: 4 September 2020
Cost: $249 full | $199 concession
Registration: All registrations are online and payment is by credit card. Please click on the relevant ‘Register’ button above. A confirmation email will be sent to you automatically.
STARTTS Carramar, 152-168 The Horsley Drive
Parking: Some onsite parking available (enter off Mitchell St), free street parking
Train: Fairfield train station is a 20 minute walk, Carramar train station is a 10 minute walk
Bus: 904 or 905 from Fairfield train station
STARTTS will return to providing face-to-face workshops from the Carramar office as a part of our public calendar workshop program in August 2020. The following measures will be implemented to comply with physical distancing and hygiene protocols:
- Each workshop will have a maximum of 8 participants with one person per table. With the 2 trainers in the 90 square metre Carramar large training room, this means each person will have 9 square metres of space each.
- Everyone entering the Carramar building will be temperature checked on the way in.
- Hand sanitiser will be available and all surfaces including tables, chairs, door handles and the kitchen will be sprayed with disinfectant spray.
- Refreshments will be served in individual portions using disposable plates and cups.
Payment of the registration fee is online by credit card and a receipt/confirmation will be automatically emailed to you. An administration fee of $30 applies to all cancellations made more than 14 days before the event. Registration once paid cannot be cancelled 14 days or less before the event, regardless of personal circumstances. Registration can be transferred to another delegate only if STARTTS is informed of the name change. Registration can be transferred to a different workshop only if notice is given to STARTTS 14 days before the date of the original event the delegate registered for. The concession price is for full-time students and pensioners only and a photocopy or pdf of a valid concession card must be forwarded to the STARTTS training team upon registration. Registrations will not be confirmed until full payment is received. The STARTTS Training Team can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org or (02) 9646 6700.
This workshop is available upon request. Please go to the ‘Request Training‘ page for further information about workshop fees and how to make a request for your workplace. Please note that requests need to be made and confirmed at least 6-8 weeks in advance as we do get booked up.
A certificate for the one-day workshop will be emailed after the event to attendees who signed on at a STARTTS calendar event. For workshops delivered by request in your workplace, a certificate for the workshop can be emailed to the participants after the event if the organisation supplies an Excel sheet with the First Name, Last Name and Email address of every participant listed.
CPD hours = 15
This workshop adheres to the continuing professional development standards of most professional bodies. Please check the CPD policy of your professional body.
Phone: (02) 9646 6700 Ask for the Training Administration Officer