Trauma-Informed Practice with Children and Families from CALD Backgrounds
Understanding and recognising trauma in children and families from CALD backgrounds, and how to provide assistance in a culturally safe, strengths based and trauma informed way is essential to helping families recover and rebuild their lives in Australia. This half-day workshop will cover the key aspects of trauma impacts on children and families, the interaction with the challenges of life in Australia, and how this impacts on seeking support from services. An overall practical framework for a trauma-informed approach will be articulated.
- Collectivist family systems
- Types of traumatic experiences
- Understanding and recognising trauma
- Childhood trauma, Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACEs)
- Attachment and trauma, trauma and brain development
- Intergenerational trauma, culture and trauma
- The interaction of trauma with resettlement challenges and cultural transition, and its impact on CALD families
- Diverse child rearing practices, parenting challenges in the Australia context
- Child protection considerations
- Domestic and family violence considerations
- Potential barriers to accessing services
- Principles of cultural safety
- A strengths based and trauma recovery framework
- Trauma informed pedagogy and intercultural learning in service delivery
- Engaging effectively and setting boundaries
- Using interpreters
- Empowering people by allowing choice
- Vicarious trauma, boundaries and self-care
Anyone working with CALD children and families who have experienced traumatic events and need culturally safe, trauma-informed assistance.
Registration: All registrations are online and payment is by credit card. Please click on the relevant ‘Register’ button above. A confirmation email will be sent to you automatically.
Virtual workshop – Delivered via Zoom
Date: 19 October 2023
Time: 9am-1pm AEDT
Early Bird – $198 | $171 concession (ends 18/8/2023)
Standard – $220 | $190 concession
Note – there is a 5% late fee for registering after 8.30am the day before the event. Costs are in Australian dollars.
This workshop is available upon request. Please go to the ‘Request Training‘ page for further information about workshop fees and how to make a request for your workplace. Please note that requests need to be made and confirmed at least 6-8 weeks in advance as we do get booked up.
A certificate for the half-day workshop will be emailed after the event to attendees who signed on at a STARTTS calendar event. For workshops delivered by request in your workplace, a certificate for the workshop can be emailed to the participants after the event if the organisation supplies an Excel sheet with the First Name, Last Name and Email address of every participant listed.
CPD hours = 4
This workshop adheres to the continuing professional development standards of most professional bodies. Please check the CPD policy of your professional body.
Phone: (02) 9646 6700 Ask for the Training Administration Officer